Okay, so my least favorite spread has to be the Celtic Cross. Sacrilege, I know. I guess part of the reason I’m so averse to it is the fact that it is so popular and so sought.
On what to consult the CC for, I’ve had both sides- specific questions or a general map of where you’re at in the moment and where you might go. Personally, I won’t do more than one CC a month. I just don’t think that the bounty of information given shifts circumstances in a couple of days or weeks. I like it for a once in a moon check in, maybe even once a quarter. I also never ask a specific question beyond something to the effect of, “Okay, so tell me about where I’m at and where I’m going in the next 30 days or so”. Sacrilege, again, I know. I just prefer to save my specific questions for just about any other spread but this one. Mostly because I feel that the traditional keys for the spread are too specific to look for more than is already given and I don’t want to miss anything out of a tunnel vision approach.
Anyway, that’s my spiel, here’s my reading:
- PRESENT: THREE OF STONES/WANDS – I’m intuiting a balanced foresight, this is a card that has me looking into my future, looking for what is next. It is also reading as a card of inaction, which while not necessarily a bad thing I’m just looking into the horizon and wondering what steps to take next. Which can be an indication it’s about time to get myself moving.
- CROSSES/CHALLENGES: TEN OF BONES/PENTACLES – A preoccupation with achievement and success, with being established in a position or place, which makes sense considering the next card.
- PAST: THE HIEROPHANT – I’ve just graduated, and have lost the sense of structure and stability that environment provided despite its various stresses. I’m looking to get to the next stable stage of my life, perhaps too fast as life doesn’t always work that way. Moreover, it’s been indicated that my journey suddenly won’t.
- FUTURE: KNIGHT OF STONES/WANDS – Perhaps a suggestion that impulsive and creative decisions/steps will be necessary for what’s coming. I’m leaving for a trip this week that will be absolutely beneficiary to me particularly regarding all the things the wands suit is associated with- energy, vitality, fire, creativity- I made the decision to go on this trip jumping in without seeing how far the bottom was- and while this particular trip might not necessarily relate to this card, it’s an example of what energy I might need to flow in. Hmm, maybe I’ll draw for this trip with the Knight of Wands as a focus and see what I might look out for.
- GOALS: FOUR OF PLUMES/SWORDS – Gaining perspective; an affirmation of my vision.
- SUBCONSCIOUS/DESIRES/UNDERLYING INFLUENCES: THE HIGH PRIESTESS – I’m really enjoying the stillness I’m in right now even if at the back of my mind is obligation and responsibility nagging at me. On the flip side, achieving the kind of balance and wisdom indicated by The High Priestess is my constant desire. To understand myself, gain trust in my intuition and to be completely comfortable in my own skin. Four of Swords is evident in this card too. This CC spread is really flowing here today.
- ADVICE/RECOMMENDATION/APPROACH: THE DEVIL – Obsession: bad. Got it. Easy to hear this message, harder to let things go. This is an ongoing theme for me.
- ENVIRONMENT/EXTERNAL INFLUENCES: FIVE OF STONES/WANDS – Well I need to remove myself from these circumstances STAT. It is true, there is a lot of discord and dissonance around me right now. Some of it my own mess, some of it others, and the rest out of my control. I’m also experiencing setbacks and letting these derail me is not the answer.
- HOPES/FEARS: QUEEN OF STONES/WANDS – To be one day self-assured, balanced in my natural power, and energetic in my work. A surety of self.
- OUTCOME/RESULTS: KNIGHT OF BONES/PENTACLES – Which is interesting as the outcome is Knight of Pentacles, which gives me vibes of being too stuck in particular ways. A bit too dogged. Perhaps a warning that the flip side of the knight, the more careful, tireless aspect is needed to realign this outcome into more of a Queen of Wands energy? While also retaining fire, and an ability to allow flexibility.
Hmm. Definitely a spread to meditate on some more.